Tuesday, January 6, 2015

ChiLi...Indian Style??

I should probably come up with something more creative when it comes to what inspires these dishes but honestly 85% of the time it's a combination of me being lazy and resourceful. I have a tendency to buy things I don't have an immediate need for because it's a good deal...or I think eventually I can use this...or I want to be able to use it (i.e.-it's healthy for me and I know I should be eating this instead of take out haha)...but then it sits around until I'm like..ok...if you don't use it it's going to be a waste of your money and I don't want to waste money soooooo....enter my recipe for Indian Turkey Chili.

Ingredients
-1/2lb of ground turkey
-1/2 medium size butternut squash (peeled and cubed)
-appx. 1 cup green lentils
-1 large onion
- an inch size thumb of ginger
-garlic
-cinnamon stick
-salt (I use Himalayan Pink Salt)
-cumin
-garam masala
-cayenne pepper
-red chili flakes
-chicken stock
-spinach
-feta cheese





To Do
-In my pot over medium heat I added about a tbsp of ghee. Let that heat thoroughly then add garlic, onion, ginger and cinnamon stick.
-After a few minutes of the onions cooking...maybe when you start to smell the ginger add the turkey and all the dry seasonings (you want the seasonings to heat and release their oils into the turkey)

-Next, I added the lentils and let those "fry" in the liquids in the pot (turkey doesn't have much fat so there won't be much grease in the pan...but whatever you have in there I want that to help kinda toast the lentils)


-Add the cubed butternut squash and the chicken stock

-Cook until the lentils are soft..at this point the butternut squash should be cooked thoroughly

-Taste the stock and alter your seasons to your taste...I added some extra cayenne and salt to get the flavor I liked

-I'm not sure if the order of this matters but it's what I did....I filled my bowl with the hearty stuff first...letting the liquid drain off into the pot...then I added a handful of raw spinach..then topped until I had as much stock as I wanted in the soup this helped to wilt the spinach while keeping my presentation nice...I then topped it off with some feta cheese and Voila!








No comments:

Post a Comment