Friday, January 16, 2015

Reheating Leftovers

I have vague memories of an aunt telling me that a certain uncle didn't eat leftovers...or was it wouldn't eat leftovers reheated in the microwave...I don't know...but since I heard that I've had an aversion to reheating (certain) things in the microwave...Crispy things tend to go soggy and sauces don't do what they're supposed to...ick!

So my last post reviewing my Birthday Brunch at Green Eggs Cafe in Philly, wasn't ravishing...the food was technically cooked properly (with the exception of the potatoes) I suppose but lacked flavor, there was so much food though I decided to take it home and "doc it up"

Here's what I started with...

The potatoes were undercooked and need the most time to heat, so I started by heating a little olive oil in a pan over medium heat. I added the potatoes with about 2 tbsp of water and covered. I also added some salt, pepper and garlic powder.

When the potatoes could be pierced with a fork, I added the short rib, I topped that with seasoned salt and garlic and let that steam/heat up with the potatoes as to not dry out the meat, adding small amounts of water to prevent burning/ drying out.

I thought the poached egg would be the most difficult part but alas it was not. I put the egg on top of the short rib, added some more water and covered the pan. You don't want harsh or direct heat to over cook the egg so this technique worked great.

To warm the biscuit I laid it on top of the egg so as that heated through and steamed...the steam gently heated the biscuit through...I plated my leftovers and made a cup of tea...and then I sat down to this...

Close Up



Even Closer...
It's still pretty colorless but it was delicious...better then the first time it was served!

No comments:

Post a Comment