Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Splurge on a Budget

I'm cheap...I'll openly admit it...but I think I'm a fair cheap person...I won't spend a bunch of money on something I know I can recreate of equal or better quality...whether it be a meal, an outfit or decorations...or furniture now that I think about it (remember my nail polish rack??) That's one of the reasons Ikea is one of my favorite spots...I don't mind assembling my bed frame if I can get a queen size bed frame for $50...I actually enjoy it....anywho I digress...

The purpose of this blog...or segment...once I figure out how to create tabs on this website is to compare a product who's price tag is relatively steep (keep in mind I'm cheap!) to a comparable product which is significantly cheaper but of equal quality...

Let's talk about Macaroons...I'd heard of these little cookies by name before but when I thought of macaroons I thought of these...

macarOOns!
...which I've had before and don't dislike...but I don't love either. But these...

macarOns!


...are macarOns! 

Who knew 1 "O" could change so much!! A few posts ago I told you about my friend and I stopping at the french bakery, she went to pick up a gift and we weren't going to get anything for ourselves but...let's be real...it's a french bakery and since I'd never had a macarOn before...I bought a Passion Fruit MacarOn..and let me tell you...my world was rocked! The macaron is a crisp pillow of chewy greatness that is sweet but not offensively so and the passion fruit flavor that was emitted from the middle of that macarOn O.M.G!

...but that one little cookie cost me $0.85...and I could easily eat about 10 of those in one setting but $8.50 + tax is steep for a snack...so I found (well it found me) a...

SPLURGE ON A BUDGET!!

I just happened to be perusing the frozen food section at Trader Joe's when I ran into these...

...not these exactly but I can't find the picture I'm looking for...the ones I bought had pear cinnamon, gingerbread, chocolate peppermint and a few other flavors that aren't coming to mind right now but O.M.D. (oh my damn) if these things weren't delicious! And at $4.99 for a box of 12...I think score!! It only took me 2 days (one night and the next morning) to finish the box so I will definitely be purchasing them again.

I'm not throwing shade on the french bakery though...you can't go into Trader Joe's and take in the overwhelming scent of butter and chocolate, or peek through a window to watch a real true to life pastry chef cutting dough...the time, energy and patience..the experience is what you pay for when you buy an $0.85 macaron and it's worth it! But if I were to do something like this...


Would you be able to tell that I only spent $0.42/ cookie?? Nope! Not a chance :-) Try out the macarons...I don't think you'll be disappointed...I wasn't!

Until I write again...adios!


No comments:

Post a Comment